Although it may not feel like, it is still winter! How much you save on your energy bills this winter will depend largely on what you do now. Here are steps you can take to help make your home more warm and cozy and energy efficient when the next cold front comes.
Doors and windows
- Replace worn weather stripping around all doors
- Caulk around gaps in windows.
- Install storm doors if you have them.
- Consider replacing older windows with newer, more efficient models.
Insulation and air sealing
- Proper attic insulation is essential both for keeping your house warm and saving on winter heating bills. See the U.S. Department of Energy’s recommended R-value of insulation for your area. Add or replace attic insulation as necessary.
- Check in your attic and basement for gaps around flue vents and joists, as well as exterior piping and wiring. Seal with insulation cutouts, as well as caulking or expandable foam.
- Have your heating system checked by a qualified professional before cold weather arrives.
- Clean vents and other heating system components.
- Replace your furnace filter and continue to replace it regularly throughout the heating season.
- Install a programmable thermostat; it will save energy by automatically lowering temperatures at night and when you are away from home.
- If your heating system is older, upgrade to an ENERGY STAR® certified high-efficiency furnace or heat pump.
Chimney and fireplace
- Have the chimney and fireplace checked and cleaned by a professional.
- Repair or replace loose-fitting fireplace dampers; they will allow warm air to escape.
- Keep the damper closed whenever the fireplace is not in use.
- Install fireplace inserts, covers, glass doors or flue sealers to prevent heat loss through your chimney.
Outside your home
- Replace any missing or damaged roof shingles.
- Clean gutters and make sure that downspouts point away from the house.
- Make sure that flashing around chimney and vent pipes is sealed tight.
- Trim tree limbs that are touching or overhanging the house.
Optimize savings and comfort for every season with a FREE Home Energy Audit
Hire a qualified professional to perform an energy audit of your home. Your auditor will suggest targeted cost-saving opportunities to make your home more energy efficient this winter and all year long. Schedule your home energy audit with PSEG Long Island here.