The new year is a great time for a fresh start. If you’re looking for a change that can benefit your family, community and the entire planet, how about saving energy? Let’s count down 10 resolutions for an energy-efficient New Year together!
10. Turn off lights when you’re the last one to leave the room.
9. Switch to energy-efficient, longer lasting LED bulbs.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, lighting accounts for about 15% of the electricity used in the home, and LEDs use approximately 75% less energy and last up to 25 times longer. Shop for energy efficient bulbs in our PSEG Long Island Marketplace.
8. Have your heating and cooling system inspected by a qualified professional.
PSEG Long Island offers a free energy efficiency home assessment to all customers, regardless of your heating fuel source. Get guidance on how to reduce your energy usage, and learn about exclusive rebates and financing. Schedule your assessment today.
7. Change furnace filters regularly according to manufacturer’s instructions.
6. Adjust the thermostat to save energy at night or when no one’s at home.
Reduce your home’s energy costs by installing a new ENERGY STAR® certified Smart thermostat. Programmable thermostats offer pre-programmed settings to deliver savings without sacrificing comfort. They are available through our PSEG Long Island Marketplace.
5. Unplug battery chargers when they’re not charging anything.
By using energy efficient power strips or unplugging electronic devices when they’re not in use. Items plugged into outlets use electricity even when they’re turned off.
4. Take shorter showers.
Hold yourself accountable, set a timer on your phone so that you can stick to a shorter shower routine!
3. Fix water leaks as quickly as possible.
2. Install water efficient showerheads and faucet aerators.
1. Purchase only ENERGY STAR® certified high-efficiency appliances and devices.
We offer many rebates on ENERGY STAR® certified household appliances, check them out here.