Even though Energy Efficiency Day 2022 has passed, we strive to be energy efficient (and safe!) all year round. We are teaming up with Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) to increase awareness about the dangers of electricity and how to prepare your home or business for safe and efficient energy use.
Did you know that, according to ESFI, roughly 3,300 home fires originate in extension cords and power strips each year? Or how about major appliances caused more than 150,000 residential fires annually, according to The Consumer Product Safety Commission using estimates from 2006 through 2008?
Learn about electrical safety devices
- AFCI breakers and outlets protect against arc-faults which could lead to fires.
- Grounded outlets protect against electric shocks.
- GFCI outlets and breakers are required where water and electricity may come into contact and protect against ground faults.
Prepare for safe and efficient energy use
- Surge protective devices
- Stay safe: Power strips protect electronic equipment against dangerous and costly power surges and prevent potential fires.
- Save energy: Stop paying for energy you’re not using with a power strip that knows when to turn off idle devices.
- Save money with PSEG Long Island Marketplace instant rebates: You may be eligible to purchase a power strip for as little as $1 or save up to $25 off the purchase price of a power strip.*
- LED lightbulbs
- Stay safe: Stay cool to the touch and pose less of a fire and burn hazard than heat-generating lights like incandescent.
- Save energy: LEDs use up to 90% less energy and last up to 25 times longer than traditional incandescent bulbs.
- Save money with PSEG Long Island Marketplace instant rebates: Upgrade just five of your most-used bulbs with LED lighting and save up to $45 per year. You may be eligible to purchase LED lightbulbs for as little as $0.13 each or save up to $15 off the purchase of an energy savings kit.*
- Smart thermostats
- Save energy: Control your home’s heating and cooling from anywhere.
- Save money with PSEG Long Island Marketplace instant rebates: You may be eligible to purchase a smart thermostat for as low as $29 or receive up to $100 off the purchase of a smart thermostat.*
- ENERGY STAR® certified appliances
- Stay safe: Replace your outdated appliances with ENERGY STAR ® certified appliances. The most common dangers seen in older appliances are fire, electric shock and gas emissions.
- Save money with PSEG Long Island rebates: you could qualify for rebates up to $1,000 on various appliances throughout your home.
* Customers can visit PSEG Long Island Marketplace, our online store that offers energy-efficient products with instant rebates at the point of sale. Terms and conditions apply.