Summer is a time for fun in the sun – as long as we keep safety in mind. Here are some quick tips to help you stay safe, while enjoying each day and night all summer long.
Electrical hazards could be hiding in plain sight. Review these potential safety concerns:
- In kitchens and bathrooms, install ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets to prevent shocks. Install GFCIs with watertight covers for outdoor outlets.
- To help prevent fires, install arc fault circuit interrupter (AFCI) circuit breakers in your home’s electrical panel.
- Not enough outlets? Consider an advanced power strip, which provides better protection against surges and fires.
- When using an extension cord outdoors, make sure there is a “For Outdoor Use” label. These cords are usually orange.
- Keep ladders at least 10 feet away from overhead power lines when working outdoors.
- Before your shovel hits the ground for a new fence, tree or similar project, make one phone call to 811. The owners of underground facilities, like pipes and wires, will mark their locations to help you avoid damage, injury or worse. The call and service are free.
Check out our website for more tips on how to keep your family safe this summer: https://www.psegliny.com/safetyandreliability/safetytips.