Thank you for the patience that you have shown during this extended power outage at a particularly difficult time. Your recent restoration estimate has been updated and we expect to have your power on no later than Sunday 11PM. Crews, now totaling more than 3,500 personnel, are continuing their work 24 hours a day.
About 420,000 customers island-wide have experienced an outage since Tropical Storm Isaias and while we have restored most power, there are several reasons for extended outages such as yours:
- Once we restore the “backbone” of the system, such as long-distance, high voltage wires and local substations, many customers get power back just from these initial repairs. This part of the system feeds power to local neighborhoods.
- After that, we can then fully survey and determine the amount of the damage and resources required for the poles and wires running through neighborhoods.
- These local jobs require much more time and personnel for tasks that include removing large trees, replacing multiple utility poles and installing new wiring. One job requiring 12 hours of work might restore power to only 20 to 40 customers. This type of effort may be required in hundreds of locations.
Rest assured that there are crews hard at work right now and at all hours of the day.
On Saturday, we will open six customer outreach centers offering free water and ice. To ensure safe social distancing, these centers will offer drive-thru service:
Hours: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (while supplies last)
- Babylon – Babylon Town Hall – 200 E Sunrise Hwy
- Brentwood – 1650 Islip Ave
- Greenlawn – 288 Pulaski Rd
- Patchogue – 460 E Main St
- Roslyn – 250 Willis Ave
- Woodmere – Five Towns Shopping Center- 253-01 Rockaway Blvd
Safety is the most important issue and we have adjusted our health and safety procedures in response to COVID-19. You may see crews working on repairs. Please remain indoors or, if you must speak with them, please practice social distancing by remaining at least six feet away.
Thank you again. We understand how important electric service is to you, particularly now. Our crews will continue to work on getting your power back on as quickly as possible.