– Director of Energy Efficiency, PSEG Long Island
You might not think that National Cut Your Energy Costs Day is the kind of occasion an electric company would celebrate, but at PSEG Long Island, we have a lot of good news to share about our customers lowering their bills.
Providing people with opportunities to save through energy efficiency is a key part of our company’s mission. And National Cut Your Energy Costs Day, Jan. 10, is a perfect time to announce that our business and residential customers have saved an estimated $280 million on their bills over the past six years by taking advantage of our energy efficiency programs.
We helped our customers achieve this by offering rebates on more-efficient lighting fixtures and lightbulbs, appliances, refrigeration, heating and cooling systems, other energy efficiency modifications.
These upgrades have saved an estimated 1.6 billion kilowatt hours of energy since Jan. 1, 2014. That savings is about more than cash. It’s about our environment. Every kilowatt hour we save helps reduce the burning of fossil fuels, cutting carbon emissions and helping provide a cleaner, greener Long Island.
The rebates continue: This year we are offering significant incentives for the most efficient air source heat pumps that can save customers even more.
Our energy efficiency programs extend beyond simple rebates. In the past six years, PSEG Long Island residential customers also completed 34,000 Home Energy Assessments to gain real insights about how to upgrade their homes and save money. Through our programs, residents recycled 24,000 old, energy-wasting appliances, sparing them from the landfill. To find out more about our energy assessment tools, visit: https://www.psegliny.com/saveenergyandmoney/homeefficiency/homeassessments.
Business customers also saved money in the past six years by completing 20,000 energy efficiency projects, which earned them a collective $161 million in rebates and incentives. The installed energy conservation measures are expected to save 633 million kilowatt hours in annual energy savings.
Want to celebrate National Cut Your Energy Costs Day in your own home? If you’re a PSEG Long Island customer, start by visiting https://www.psegliny.com/efficiency to discover what we have to offer. Here are a few more simple energy-saving tips you can try today:
- A single LED bulb will save a household approximately $230 over the lifetime of each bulb. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, lighting accounts for 15% of home electric use. Replacing incandescent light bulbs with energy-efficient bulbs and fixtures will save energy and money.
- Items plugged into outlets can waste electricity just by being plugged in, even when they’re turned off. This is sometimes referred to as “phantom power.” A simple way to eliminate this avoidable usage is to unplug electronic devices when they’re not in use or use an energy efficient power strip.
- Using timers and motion detectors on indoor and outdoor lighting to automatically turn lights on and off is another way to save energy.
- The use of a smart thermostat can save you money on both heating and air conditioning costs by automatically adjusting temperatures in accordance with your schedule.