July 4th is almost here, and what better way to celebrate America than with barbecues, fireworks displays and some quality beach time? But with the holiday weekend approaching, we want to remind our customers to enjoy Independence Day and all its festivities safely and responsibly.
Before firing up the grill or lighting that sparkler, take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with these tips for a danger-free celebration.
Every year, about 7,000 people across the United States are inured while using backyard barbecue grills. Do the following for safe grilling during the long weekend and beyond.
- Keep your grill at least 10 feet from your house, including porches, garages and outdoor carpets. Also ensure grills (charcoal or gas) are not located under wooden overhangs as they could catch fire and ignite the entire structure.
- Check for gas leaks. Although PSEG Long Island does not supply gas, it’s important our customers know exactly what to do in the event of a gas leak. If you suspect gas is leaking from your grill, call our friends at National Grid.
- Keep a fire extinguisher nearby. Be sure you and your family members are familiar and comfortable using the extinguisher in the event of a fire.
Heading to the ocean this weekend? Be sure to remember these tips before propping up in the sand.
- Look out for one of the greatest means of energy–the sun! Apply sunscreen periodically throughout the day to avoid a nasty burn.
- Swim within the lifeguard flags. Even when the ocean may seem calm, there can be rip tides. If you find yourself caught in a rip tide, swim parallel to the shore until a lifeguard is able to pull you out.
- Protect your neck. Never dive head-first into any body of water, including swimming pools.
With parties abound this weekend, it’s easy to get carried away. A few important reminders before the celebrations begin:
- Drink responsibly, and never drink and drive. Ask a friend or call a cab for a safe ride home.
- Keep electronics away from water. If you’re taking a dip in the pool, be sure to keep your cellphone in a dry place.
- Don’t leave candles unattended. If you’re lighting citronella or other candles outdoors, be sure to blow out the flame when heading back indoors.
Have a happy and safe July 4th! And for more tips like these, follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.