Five Safety Tips This Mother’s Day

Kate Vossen – Corporate Communications, PSEG

Do your kids get into everything? I know mine does!

While we do our best as parents, sometimes we forget the dangers that our little bundles of joy can get into when they are crawling – or sprinting – around our homes at ground level. We safely interact with electricity every day so it can be easy to forget that if handled in the wrong way, they can be dangerous.

That’s why this Mother’s Day, we are sharing some safety tips to make life a little easier for moms and our kids.

  • Outlet covers: This is a must! They are cheap and easier for parents to remove than the giant plastic covers from the 80s. Remember, there are 120 volts of electricity running though those outlets. We don’t tend to think about that, but we also don’t stick our hands in our mouths or in sockets. It’s better to be safe than sorry, so cover your outlets!
  • Oven Knob Covers: Even bigger kids can accidentally brush against a gas stove and turn the knob. This can lead to a flame on the burner or a gas leak. Oven knob covers fit over the existing knobs and can be purchased at any hardware store.
  • Carbon Monoxide Alarms: Due to their smaller bodies, children breathe faster than adults and may be more severely affected by carbon monoxide – an odorless, colorless gas. Make sure your home has working carbon monoxide detectors. If you ever smell gas in your home, leave the premises with your family immediately and call 911.
  • Loose electrical cords: We all have that lamp that is placed in just the right spot. The only problem is the cord is 4 feet and the outlet is 2 feet away. Loose cords can be an attractive chew toy to a baby and a major trip hazard to a toddler. Make sure to wrap cords tightly, using Velcro wraps or zip ties.
  • Electronic Devices: We might not admit it, but we all have given our children a smart phone or tablet to watch a show or play games. While this is a great weapon in the fight over an afternoon nap, there is a lurking danger. Never allow children to charge electronic devices unattended or in bed. The batteries can overheat, especially if the child falls asleep and the device is covered by a pillow or blankets.

And don’t forget, it’s important to have conversations with your children about safety outside of your home and in the community. Make sure they always stay away from power lines and utility poles!

Safety is PSEG Long Island’s top priority but it’s everyone’s responsibility. From one mom to another, have a safe and happy Mother’s Day!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s